Frequently Asked Questions

General Application Questions

What is the application deadline for the East Asian Studies (EAST) M.A. Program?

The deadline for matriculation in Fall 2024 is January 2nd, 2024.

Can I mail any of my application materials to the Graduate School or to the Council on East Asian Studies?

No.  You need to “upload” all materials to your on-line application and not mail anything into the Graduate School OR the Council on East Asian Studies. Since all applications are reviewed by the faculty on-line there is no physical file folder. As such, materials not attached to your application cannot be accommodated and will be discarded if received.

What are required materials for the application?

Required supplemental materials include a Personal Statement of  Purpose, a Writing Sample, 3 Letters of Recommendation, Transcripts, and your Standardized Test scores (see “Standardized Tests” below).

What information should be included in the Personal Statement of Purpose?

The Personal Statement of Purpose should be a 500-1000 word statement concerning your past work, preparation for the EAS M.A. Program, relevant background and interests, academic plans, and career objectives.  It should be used to describe your reasons for applying to the Program. Your Personal Statement will assist the admissions committee in evaluating your aptitude and motivation for graduate study.

Standardized Tests

What Department or Program code do I use for East Asian Studies?

The Graduate School does not require the use of Department or Program codes. If you are required to enter a Department or Program code please use the following:

  • GRE “0000” (Undecided)
  • TOEFL “99” (Undecided)

What are the minimum acceptable scores I must receive on my standardized tests in order to apply?

Applicants to our program are expected to have achieved at minimum the following scores on their standardized tests:

  •  GRE: 308 (current scale) / 1200 (prior scale)
  •  TOEFL: 105 (internet-based)
  •  IELTS: 7.5

What if my standardized test scores are not released to Yale University by the application deadline?

Score records received after the deadline will still be provided to our program.  However, while there is some flexibility as to when the Graduate School can receive standardized test scores you should make every effort to have them released before the application deadline (this includes the GRE, TOEFL, and IELTS).  If you have any concerns regarding the receipt of standardized test scores, please contact the East Asian Studies Registrar.

Can I substitute GMAT/MCAT/LSAT scores for the GRE?



Are there any fellowships available to students admitted to the East Asian Studies M.A. Program?

There are a limited number of fellowships offered each year by the CEAS to students admitted to the EAST MA program.  These fellowships range from partial tuition funding to full tuition funding plus stipend.  All applicants to the program are considered for these fellowships.

Are applicants eligible for financial aid?

The majority of students enrolled in terminal master’s programs such as ours are self-supported.  Those who do not have sufficient resources (such as personal savings, gifts, loans, and outside fellowships) to fund tuition and maintenance may apply for financial assistance.  For more information, please contact the Graduate School’s Office of Financial Aid.    


My academic background is not in East Asian Studies, may I still apply to the program?

There are no restrictions on the academic background of applicants. However, it is required that applicants have completed at least two years (or the equivalent) of college-level language study in Chinese, Japanese, or Korean.

May I transfer credit for graduate work done outside of Yale University?

No.  Credit is not awarded toward the M.A. degree for courses taken prior to matriculation in the Graduate School, or taken in Yale or other summer programs.

Is it possible to complete the program on-line?

No, the EAST M.A. Program does not offer courses on-line.  All coursework must be completed in residence in order to complete the requirements of the degree.